This eggless lemon pomegranate tart is a very easy, simple yet elegant dessert. The sweetness and smoothness of condensed milk perfectly balance the tartness and acidity of lemon. Pomegranate seeds give that extra lift which elevates this simple dessert to a whole new level.
Still, wondering why try this recipe?
- It is eggless
- This is an easy make-ahead recipe.
- The sugary crispy tart shells filled with a lemony and sweet filling.
- Topped with the crunch of pomegranate seeds.
The texture is very different from the authentic lemon tarts, as it is a little difficult to achieve without eggs. Using corn starch can bring you somewhat close to it, but it just slays the palate appeal for me. This recipe is my take on the lemon tart. I am using a little bit of gelatin to thicken the filling. Replace gelatin with ½ the quantity of agar-agar.
In place of pomegranate, you can add any fruit of your choice. Explore the possibilities and let me know your experience.
This easy eggless lemon pomegranate tart will be ideal for a 9x1 inch tart pan. or 5 tartlets of 3 inches. I am using smaller tart pans of varied sizes today.
I start by combining all the ingredients in a food processor and making a firm dough. Press the dough evenly into the tart shells. Make sure to small whole in the pie dough with the help a fork. Then I bake these shells naked.
Prepare the filling as per the instructions and chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
For more dessert recipes
Easy Eggless lemon pomegranate tart
Ingredients for tart shell
- 1 ½ Cup All- purpose flour
- ½ Cup Unsalted butter
- Pinch salt
- ½ Cup Caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Cold milk
Ingredients for filling
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- ½ Cup Condensed milk
- 1 Cup Heavy cream
- ⅓ Cup Pomegranate seeds
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Lemon rind micro Julien
- ½ teaspoon Leon zest
Instructions for the tart shell
- In a food processor combine the all-purpose flour, sugar, and salt. Process for 30 seconds.
- Cube the butter and add it to the processor. Process till a crumbly dough is formed.
- Add cold milk and process further, until everything comes together.
- Take out of the processor and work with hands to smooth the dough.
- Use your fingers to press the dough into the tart pan, or in case making tartlets, divide the dough first and then press into the tart pans.
- Take care to press the dough in equal thickness. Remove the excess by trimming off the edges using a knife.
- Using a fork make holes in the tart.
- Cover them and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 0 F and bake naked filled with dry beans till they start becoming light brown. Almost 15 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, and let cool completely before filling.
Instructions for the filling
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer whip the heavy cream till stiff peaks are formed.
- Dissolve the gelatin in water and let it bloom for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the whipped cream with half the condensed milk first. Gently fold the condensed milk. When done, add the rest of the condensed milk and incorporate it into the mixture.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon jest. Mix well.
- Heat the gelatin mixture and let it cool slightly before pouring into the mixture. mix well using a spatula.
- Gently, pour the filling into the tart shells.
- Add pomegranate seeds and garnish with the lemon rinds.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.